Laser correction is a highly effective modern method of improving vision. The laser beam is directed to the cornea of the eye, which under its influence changes its shape. In this case, the retina acquires its ability to normally focus the image, which greatly improves vision. The price of laser eye surgery is lower than the cost of an annual supply of one-day lenses.
Positive aspects of laser eye surgery
Currently, more and more people with vision problems are choosing this method of correcting it. Indeed, the uniqueness of this procedure cannot be overemphasized:
- such operations have been carried out for more than a quarter of a century. According to statistics, during this time thousands of people significantly improved their eyesight. And this method is constantly being improved;
- it is quite safe and does not harm the eyes. The risk of complications after such an operation is practically reduced to zero;
- laser eye surgery lasts 15-20 minutes. At the same time, most of this time is spent preparing the patient for the operation, and the very action of the laser on the cornea lasts about a minute;
- this operation involves the use of local anesthesia. This excludes the harmful effects of potent drugs on the body. In this case, pain and any discomfort during the operation are completely absent;
- this method of improving the vision is done on an outpatient basis, that is, the patient does not need to go to the hospital in order to prepare for the operation and recover from it;
- the patient marks a significant improvement in eyesight immediately after the end of the operation. Within a week after the procedure, vision is fully restored.
The recovery period after laser eye surgery takes a minimum amount of time, subject to certain temporary conditions and limitations:
- sleep on the back in the first day after the procedure,
- the use of eye drops during the time indicated by the doctor,
- minimal physical impact on the operated eye,
- compliance with specific hygiene standards, including the refusal of decorative cosmetics,
- the lack of exercise and sports for some time after the operation,
- maximum protection of the eye from direct sunlight,
- limitation of work at the computer, watching TV and reading,
- refusal from the consumption of alcoholic beverages.
Remember that this procedure only corrects eye problems but does not treat them, it significantly improves eyesight, but does not restore it. The effect of the laser will have a beneficial effect if the eyes prone to:
- stable myopia;
- stable farsightedness;
- a low or average degree of astigmatism;
- disruption of the work of one eye and overwork of the other.
Also, laser vision correction is relevant for those people who have poor eyesight, but because of their profession cannot use glasses and contact lenses. Such categories of patients include military, fire, swimmers, chemical workers.
There are exceptions in the above paragraphs. That is why before taking a decision on laser correction, it is necessary to pass a survey and consult a specialist.
After all, despite obvious advantages, this method of vision correction is an operative medical intervention, and therefore has a number of contraindications:
- any stage of cataract and glaucoma;
- progressive myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism;
- any inflammatory disease of the eye;
- pregnancy and breastfeeding period;
- dystrophy and degeneration of the cornea of the eye;
- severe diabetes mellitus;
- detached retina surgery (in the anamnesis);
- any kind of changes in the fundus;
- children under 18 years of age;
- endocrine diseases.
As we have already mentioned, the risk of complications after laser eye surgery is practically reduced to zero, but nevertheless, it exists. Side effects include:
- puffiness of the cornea after surgery,
- the temporary omission of the eyelid,
- an allergic reaction to medications prescribed in the postoperative period,
- insufficient moistening of the mucous membrane,
- infectious inflammation of the cornea of the eye.
These complications can be avoided using eye medicaitons (such as Decadron, Fml Forte) available at Pharmacy Mall website.
Laser eye surgery: how is it done?
Both myopia and hyperopia are associated with the fact that the rays of light, passing through the cornea, the lens and the vitreous, are focused not on the retina, but behind it or in front of it. This can be caused by the anatomical features of the eye and the gradual loss of the ability to accommodate. At the same time, the lens and supporting muscles become less elastic; the lens stops adapting easily to the resulting image, changing its shape – and the focus shifts, and the image becomes fuzzy. There is also lens replacement surgery – but laser surgery changes the shape of the cornea, the very surface layer of the eye, and the image focuses in the right place. The task is not to thin the cornea, but to change its shape, that is, to make it flatter or, on the contrary, convex.
Technically, the surgery is not very complicated and takes only a couple of minutes: the laser beam “evaporates” several layers of the cornea (the most convex part of the eye) so that the image can focus on the retina, as expected. To date, there are many types of procedure. Vision is restored within several hours after the operation. A person sees clearly without any auxiliary means and can drive a car on the same day (although doctors recommend to be safe and ask relatives to meet you at the clinic).
How much does laser eye surgery cost?
This procedure is considered a cosmetic operation. Many people are interested in the price for laser eye surgery. According to the calculations of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, every year people spend more than $15 million on glasses and lenses. Of course, the cost of laser correction is also high and is usually not covered by insurance, but this procedure is carried out only once. Therefore, the demand for it does not decrease: every year more than 700,000 surgeries are done in the USA.
The price may range from $700 to $1600 for both eyes depending on the clinic, the doctor, the kind of correction. “When you do not see well in ten years,” says Anna D., “the opportunity to get a normal vision and not to suffer from glasses and lenses is priceless. I had myopia, about minus eight. I am absolutely happy with the result of the correction, I can say that it is worth the money spent. A couple of days after the procedure, my visual acuity was almost 95%, and a week later both eyes were already 100%.”
Advice from Genia Photonics
If you decided to undergo laser eyesight correction, your main task is to find a good clinic and, first of all, a highly qualified specialist. A laser ophthalmic surgeon with a long experience in performing similar procedures can qualitatively make this kind of correction without harming your eyes.
Therefore, when looking for a place to perform surgery, give preference to those eye clinics that have gained a good reputation in this direction. The clinic must conduct these operations using the modern and high-quality equipment.
Thus, laser eye surgery can really become a panacea for solving a variety of different ophthalmic problems. However, Genia Photonics reminds you that it is necessary to approach this issue with all responsibility – taking into account all contraindications, observing all limitations, and, of course, choosing the best specialist for laser vision correction.